Planting a garden! These are pictures of the container garden on my deck. I live in a condo, so I don't have any "yard" to plant, but my sister and I decided to try our hand at a container garden.
We started out at a local garden center, fully expecting to end up at a big box store. However, we are brand new to gardening and the folks at Peacefield Gardens were super helpful, so we got about 90% of our supplies there. We knew we wanted to do herbs, and we found this great planter that would fit on a deck rail. We don't have a lot of space, and about 1/2 of the deck is usually shaded, so I'm really hoping this will work.
The Papertrey peeps may remember from my challenge that my sister and I love tea. So when we saw this teapot planter, we fell in love! The teapot has mint. The blue pot has basil. The deck rail planter has chives, lemon verbena, sage, rosemary, thai basil, and thyme.
For tomatoes and veggies, we bought two Earthboxes. These are planters that use sub-irrigation to keep the potting mix at a consistent level of moisture. They are really easy to water. There is a pipe that feeds a well in the base. You pour water in until it begins to come out of an overflow in the base. That's it! No figuring out when to water or when to stop.
After getting the earthboxes, I started to read about up on sub-irrigation and planting in general and am finding it fascinating. There are internet instructions to make your own SIPs everywhere. I'm pretty sure I originally over-watered the herbs and I hope they recover! I'm still trying to figure out if the herbs need any kind of fertilizer. In short, I've been learning about gardening instead of card-making! I'm almost finished the Peeps Inspiring Life challenge, though, and then I just have one more to get caught up on! Have a great weekend...thanks for stopping by!
6 comments:
c'est très joli, tu as la main verte contrairement à moi hihi
You are going to love container gardening! Everything right at your fingertips and almost no weeding if any! Have fun and post pics as things start to fill out.
Your plants look wonderful and love the teapot container. You will have such fun! Keep us posted as things start growing.
Ooooooh Green Growy Things! It's looking wonderful - and I'm sure these will bless you every day of this coming summer! Well done on a beautiful job! (I'm totally green with envey over your gorgeous teapot planter!! Tea is a weakness we share! :0)
Container gardening is a great idea! Everything looks great so far keep us posted on how it goes.
Getting your fingers dirty--how fun! The tea pot planter is so cute, and the Earth Boxes sound very interesting. It looks like you are not only going to have a beautiful deck, but also some delicious meals!
Post a Comment