Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PTI August Blog Hop

This card is for PTIs August Blog Hop. The challenge is :

August is the month that Papertrey celebrates all things autumn! What better way to get inspired for the upcoming season change than each 0ther! Our challenge to you is to create a project inspired by any aspect of fall. How about texture like fabrics, burlap, courduroy or stitching. Then there is color with hues found in autumn leaves, fall berries and other late season delectables. Patterns or motifs such as leaves, pumpkins, wheat and more. Try to use these attributes in fun and interesting ways that may be a little out of your normal comfort zone. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Here is what I came up with:


This was way out of my comfort zone! I started by spraying glimmer mist onto Cream card stock, then embossed the tree from Fathers Knows Best and sponged over it with Spring Rain ink to create muti-colored leaves against a blue sky. The "roots" are sponged with Ripe Avocado to ground the tree. (Got to be a pun in there somewhere!)
Here is a close-up of the main image:

Thanks for visiting.

Firsts:
  • Using glimmer mist - can't remember the colors, but the green is a pretty good match to Ripe Avocado
  • Heat embossing then inking over top
  • Using my new Inksentials foam blending tool, which is fabulous
  • Inking up Polka Dot Basics 2, which I dearly love, but found harder to line up than 1
  • Sponging while label is still in Nestabilities, fun technique that really adds a lot.
Next time:
  • Reverse the button and sentiment from Autumn Abundance for better balance.


Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Vintage Cream, Enchanted Evening, Scarlet Jewel, Ripe Avovado
Ink: PTI Spring Rain, Ripe Avocado, Versamark, Dark Chocolate
Stamps: PTI Men of Life, Autumn Abundance, Polka Dot Basics II
Other: Glimmer Mist, Vintage Buttons, Vintage Twine

21 comments:

Aimes said...

What a beautiful card - I love your inking over the top of the embossed tree! A super layout too!
Aimes
x

Sue P. said...

Very nice. The tree turned out beautifully!

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Very pretty!

Regan said...

sooo pretty

Heather P. said...

This is so pretty!

Marge said...

This is fabulous!!!

Becca said...

I love the background that you created for your tree. It's gorgeous. And the scarlet jewel and enchanted evening look really pretty on here, too.

peggysue said...

That's so very pretty! I like the color combination you used, looks very nice.

Michelle said...

Love the new colors in there incorporated in to a fall card - -different and nice outcome!

Lori said...

Very pretty!!

Steph said...

That colour combo is awesome, very pretty card!

BethieJ said...

This is WONDERFUL! the background turned out LOVELY!!! Great job!

Purrfect Paper Creations said...

Great card, love your tree!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card! No one would ever know you stepped out of your comfort zone! :) TFS

Deanna said...

So pretty Kimberly!

Donelda said...

wow, what a very dynamic creation!!

Antje said...

the tree came out beautiful!TFS

Terri Trotter Earley said...

I am so glad I came back today to check for more entries! I love the tree and spounging you did. Way to rock this challenge.

It's a good life!
Terri E.

Mindy said...

That is a really neat effect!

Banu said...

Very nice card. I really liked the glimmer mist effect and the sponging.

Cammie said...

The image is beautiful!